I've finally arranged our school day so that we are consistently getting our science and history done. I use to save it for the end of our school time but that was not working out. The boys were ready to have free time and rounding them back up was difficult. (Rounding them up is always difficult.)
Now, I start our mornings off with group science or history and we get it accomplished before we split up into individual work time. We're making great progress this way and it gets everyone focused for the day. Simple changes, big results.
When we work together as a group I usually always have something for their hands to be doing. Coloring, map work, thinking putty... today it was Wikki Stix.
We haven't played with this in months and months so it was exciting to bring out. I asked the 5 year old to make a meteoroid or space rock.
This quickly progressed into him building a comet and then the other boys wanted to as well.
All the while I'm reading and discussing with them the difference between Meteoroids, Meteors, Meteorites and Asteroids.
When you see them, ask them the difference. I'd love to know if they are retaining any of this.
LOVE those space-y objects! Busy hands seem to help boys pay attention :D
ReplyDelete