Sunday, March 3, 2013

Using it before I lose it . . .

The program I use for schooling our boys at home falls under the Washington State Alternative Learning Program.  Some of these programs are Parent Partnerships with a public school and some of them allow a parent to purchase curriculum and services that are paid for by that school in exchange for weekly and monthly student updates and reviews.  That's how the program I use works.  But it may come to a screeching end this year.  At the moment there are two Bills in Olympia that would end the funding of all services (music and sports lessons) and mandate 5 hours of classroom hours a week.  (EeeeK!)  That doesn't fly with me.  I chose to school at home for lots of reasons and I will have to leave the program if these Bills become laws.
But I don't just lose funding if I leave the program, I'm looking at having to return many of the non-consumable items purchased over the 3 years with school funds if I leave the program.  One of the neat things I purchased a few years ago for my older two was WeDo Robotics by Lego.  This is the same program used by the "Bricks and Beyond" class at Launching Success Learning Store.
WeDo Lego uses Lego and computer programming to illustrate and teach basic gears and simple machines.  It's science and engineering and my boys love it.  I've been using it this year for the Scientist (age 7.)

 This lesson was about crown gears and sound sensors.  


After building the gear assembly, he then uses the icons to program the motor which is connected to the computer via a USB cable.  This usually goes pretty quick and then he ends up experimenting with his own programming.

 The teacher's manual has questions to ask after the building and testing.

I'm trying to get my youngest student through the lessons because there is a real possibility that we will leave the program and have to return items like these.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how do we put in our two cents to keep this program going. Will you consider other home schooling options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our other option is out of pocket, independent home schooling.

    ReplyDelete