Josh and I took the Professor to an open house and informational night at Meridian High School. The Professor has been interested in Renewable Energy for the past couple years and I've been wondering how we were going to help him explore that field.
This Academy has a local, one year, program in Sustainable Engineering which also covers renewable energy. It's open to any student entering 9th - 12th grade in Whatcom or Skagit county. (I think that's what they said.) I know they said they have a lot of homeschoolers.
Anyways, the big plus is that it's free! The tough part is that it's a 2 1/2 hour class, 5 days a week for a school year.
This small scale solar and wind power unit was like eye candy.
We are still 14 months away from even applying to the program so there's plenty of time to think about it. We had fun looking around and the Professor enjoyed the hands on aspect. Especially the 3-D printers.
This printer prints in a powder encasement. The black band on his wrist is another item printed from a different 3-D printer in the CAD room.
You have to know that this kid was absolutely loving this!
Josh was also impressed.
The program will have a representative at the WHA workshops during the lunch break if you're local and you want to find out more.
Wow. Do it! Although it looks like a long drive. I commuted from Bham to Anacortes for school for awhile. And Mark commuted from Ferndale to Mill Creek. You'll do a lot of "road" schooling for the youngers, but what an awesome opportunity!!!
ReplyDeleteYou find the BEST stuff. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete