Sunday, June 15, 2014

Friday Field Trip on the Ferry...

Last Friday, by 8 am,  I had the boys loaded in the car and ready to drive.  I thought I was headed to Seattle to get on a ferry to Bremerton to participate in a Field Trip on the USS Turner Joy Destroyer.  After a last minute call to a friend I found out I hadn't actually RSVP'd for the field trip.  Oops!  It was a blessing in disguise though, I didn't really want to drive all the way to Seattle without Josh.

I did want the boys to have the ferry boat ride they were looking forward to.  So, I phoned up my Mom, met her in Burlington and we were on the Anacortes ferry as a walk on group just in time for the 10:50 sailing around the islands.  We never got off - just rode the boat for 3 hours. 



It was great!   We ate lunch on the boat. 
The boys watched the ferry dock at 3 different islands.  I watched them study the process.
 They watched the workers, the passengers, the cars and the hydraulic ramps.  I may not have planned a day of learning but a whole lot of learning took place.  Thanks Mom for spending the day with us!






4 comments:

  1. Next time, if you do make it to Bremerton, let me know! We'll meet you there! Riding the ferry is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spontaneous and fun - the best way to spend time with my favorite foursome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love riding the ferries too - even with no destination! For the future... there's a fun whale museum in Friday Harbor, just a short walk from the ferry landing that makes a great day-trip.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete