Thursday, October 23, 2014

Biology - Experiement #1

The Professor is taking high school Biology this year.  He was pretty excited about it.  Then he found out he doesn't dissect anything until lesson six.  He's doing fine though.
 I have to make sure he has access to experiment supplies, like a pond.  It took me a few days to find a great pond.  It just happened to be right next to Grandma Patty's house.  

 At the moment I'm totally bummed we had to give back a super nice microscope when we left the parent partnership program.  I saw one at Value Village the other day for $25.00 and I'm contemplating going back and seeing if it's still there and the condition it's in.  But the thought of taking everyone into a store dripping with less than tasteful Halloween costumes makes me think twice.
  
We need a microscope to view slides of the pond water he collected. He collected four samples and stored them for a week in different jars with different protein.


I was so thankful for the sun that came out and made it a really nice outing.  The water level was low so the boys walked way out into the pond.  And of course I hollered at them to come back.  Tis just my nature.
I love how they turn back into inquisitive, exploring boys when they get into nature.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like we're doing the same science :D LOVE how much hands-on there is. I know it's spend, but with three boys to cycle through... Rainbow Resources has the equipment kit for this, AND a nice microscope. (Price has gone up since we bought it :o( ) But knowing that three boys would all get years of use from it... well... I justified it. Good luck with Value Village - I also avoid it this time of year (yucko).

    LOVE the back-to-school pics of the boys :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I will have to start keeping an eye on microscope prices and look for a deal. We have the dissection kit. Cool stuff. I have a friend that might be able to lend me a microscope for a little while.

      Delete