I've stumbled onto an interesting idea. Summer break does not equal happy children. This is just something my brain has been processing. Science, History and Math are the subjects that bring the new ideas into their minds. Ideas that make them think, wonder and inspire them. You can see their faces light up when they find out something new and interesting. I believe it's a chemical reaction in the brain also. I think they get a shot of happy endorphins when their brain is engaged in learning.
| Lararbee State Park |
So what I am finding during the summer when this type of learning is not happening is that they are slipping into sulky, grumpy and negative behavior. Some more than others.
I'm finding that it helps a great deal if I sprinkle a wee bit of science learning in with a bit of math review every week to keep those brains staying happy and challenged.
Could I be so bold to say that a person can become hooked on learning. :-) I hope so. I've always enjoyed school and learning new things.
Leave me a comment and let me now what you think.
YES! When mine get grumpy, I know it's time to start structured school again. Today we did art and used up some consumables from last year. I do enjoy taking time off to refocus, but I'm looking forward to starting again.
ReplyDeleteYup, and summer is a great time for outdoor science lessons. FM has journals for .25, I got one for each boy to decorate today (art), then we are going to use if for a scientific notebook, draw pictures and ID plants etc. - they won't even know they are practicing their writing too!
ReplyDelete