Saturday, September 10, 2011

Flatland the movie - a review...


I follow a yahoo group called "living math."  The idea is to share knowlegde of story books that have math principles in them.  The membership is so much larger than it was a few years ago and trying to weed through all the comments to find the rare jem of the name of a book or series of books I haven't heard about is getting more difficult.
But the other day I read a comment about a movie called 'Flatland."  It's based on an old book that is a story about the 2nd and 3rd dimensions.  The comments said the 30 minute movie made from the main points of the book did a nice job at explaining dimension.
So I got busy requesting this movie from my local library system and it didn't take long to get it through inter-library loan.
After the movie was over, I got out the Zome Tool construction set and everyone got busy building something. I worked with the little one to help him understand - point, line segment, length & width and eventually the 3 dimensions of length & width & height.  It was fun to see the minds expand and grasps so clearly the concepts.


Website link here - Flatland movie

No comments:

Post a Comment