Monday, February 13, 2012

Re . treat . ing

I spent my weekend at a retreat called Above Rubies. 

Many of the women I know in our Cub Scout Pack have attended one or more of these retreats and I was curious to see what it was all about.  Our group could have been bigger but due to colds and flu season it was just Tami Simpson and her 3 month old, two older daughters from the Bergerons and myself.  Friday at noon we loaded up my minivan and headed south to Olympia.

To put it mildly, Above Rubies supports family values.  To go a step further, I'd say it's a "Focus on the Family" on steroids.  But still, that doesn't fully describe the message put forth from the founder Nancy Campbell.

I'm not going use my blog space to pick apart her talking points.  I figure a majority of homeschooling mothers do most of what she promotes anyways.  I take issue with how she chooses to back up her encouraging, motivational speeches. 

So, here is what I did enjoy and truthfully I may even go back next year.
I enjoyed a weekend of rest.  No chores, no cooking, no child monitoring, no laundry, no cooking... oh, I already mentioned that one.  During some down time I took a walk around the grounds, rested, worked on reading the new book "Give them Grace"  I'll post about it another day and spent time in The Word.
Where we stayed.

I totally enjoyed hanging out with Tami and holding her little one from time to time.  In fact, getting to know the women that attend this retreat was the best part.  Each one has such a unique story and each of them are like a rock star in their own right. 
Resting between speakers.
By Sunday though I was ready to head home.

The dining hall.
I was welcomed home with picture drawings and notes from my boys and a VERY clean house.  If you know me, you know that my house is pretty tidy to begin with.  My kitchen in clean, toys are picked up after playing, clothes are in their place, ect.  
I came home to a clean kitchen after a weekend of me not being here.   A vacuumed floor, a made bed with fresh sheets and a rotated mattress, four empty laundry baskets, clean clothes put away, tidy living rooms, playrooms, bedrooms and a tidied up garage.  The work and effort my men put into this act of love and kindness did not go unnoticed.  I was able to come home and hang out with them, not get busy cleaning the house.  It was a perfect Valentine's Day gift and way better than chocolate, jewelry or a card.  I love my husband, my 3 boy-barians and this testoster-zone of a home I live in.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I was thinking the same thing. Coming home to a clean house? Best Valentine Gift Ever!

    ReplyDelete