We did it! We had a Webelos Scout, overnight camp out in our backyard this weekend.
Webelos Scouts have some very specific requirements when it comes to earning the Outdoorsman Badge and the Arrow of Light award. In fact, it's down right confusing. I think I've read the requirements a couple DOZEN times and I'm finally starting to understand them.
Our oldest son's participation in a Boy Scout Troop has helped my understanding. Seeing the Boy Scout side of things makes it clear what the younger Cub Scouts should be exposed to.
I suppose by the time our youngest reaches Webelos age (4th-5th grade) he'll be the expert on this stuff and we'll just be along for the ride. He certainly loved having all the scouts in his backyard last night.
| Requirement #1 - With parent – take part in a Webelos den overnight camp out or family camp out. Sleep in a tent you have helped pitch. |
After the tents were set up the boys worked on preparing two skits. We watched them around the campfire. I love the way skits give youngsters the ability to get up in front of a group and speak. Performing a skit makes it fun and rewarding.
| Requirement #2 - With family or den – help plan and take part in an evening outdoor activity that includes a campfire. |
We sang repeat after me songs, played telephone and one word story around the campfire. There was plenty of laughter and smiles.
| Requirement #3 - With your adult, assist in preparing, cooking, and cleaning for one of your den’s meals. |
The boys had fun and lots of good memories were made. I'm looking forward to the planning of many more in the future.
Awesome!
ReplyDeleteOops - left my comment on the wrong post! Rocks look like fun too, but I meant THIS! The campout looks like fun and the weather may be changing, yadda yadda yadda again. ;D
ReplyDeleteJulie
Very cool! Looks like fun was had by all.
ReplyDeleteSuch great adventure and in your own back yard--nice :), Grandma Patty
ReplyDeleteWe had a great time! Thanks for hosting
ReplyDelete