Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Chess Tournament . . .

A week ago I mentioned to the Scientist that a chess tournament would be held in Lynden and I asked him if he would like to sign up.  With a big smile and loud "YES!" followed by "thank you, thank you, thank you," I wondered why I had waited so long to ask him.

The K-8 Chess Tournament was held at the Lynden Christian Middle School.   There were 11 kids signed up in the K-2 group and the kids were scheduled to play 4-5 games.  


My guy didn't win a single game.  We really weren't prepared like the other kids.  He had only played recreational chess at home with family and we aren't experts.  But even though he didn't win and even though he placed last out of the 11 kids in his age group, he still had a great time and wants to sign up for another one.  He showed amazing sportsmanship.  It brought tears to my eyes when he said he learned three new moves from the kids he played.  It's that what we want for our kids?  That they can learn from failure and keep moving forward.  This Mama is proud but to God be the glory.

1 comment: