Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Like a Time Capsule . . .

Nothing has made a 15 year leap quite like technology.  It's really mind boggling sometimes.  I rarely have a chance to think about where we were technically 15 years ago unless I find an old magazine or visit a museum.  Radio Shack in Lynden has a couple shelves dedicated to the last 20 years of the computer.  It's like a mini museum and I laugh looking at the big monitors and funny looking cell phones.  It's a job these days just keeping up with new technology.  

Recently, my mom gifted us with a home weather station.  She found it on the shelves of the home she moved into last year.  It's new in the box and the software was still sealed.  The Professor was really excited and we were happy to accept.  It's easy to imagine the learning possibilities.  
Our first challenge is to get the hardware onto the roof.  Then we need to string the wire into the house and connect the console.  We could be done there but it came with software which really expands the learning with visuals and data gathering.

I tried to tackle this on my own and then realized there was no possible way to get the software from that 3 inch disk onto my computer.  This system was manufactured in 1999.  A whole year before the Professor was even born. 

A little internet search and a phone call to the company and I soon had an email with a free download of software we could use.  We are not up and running yet though.  A trip to Radio Shack is still needed in order to find an adapter cable that will go from the console to our computer.  Josh is confident we can find one.   This weekend we'll get closer to having our own home weather station.  I'll soon be able to let you know.........hmmm, I'm not sure, but I sure appreciate the learning tool Mom! Thank you!
This is the funniest thing we found in our trip down technology lane.  Just in case we couldn't use the 3 inch disk, a coupon to get free 5 1/4 inch diskettes.  (Plural)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that was a reminder of how far and how quick technology has developed. We hope that was a bit of a history lesson for him and not too much of a problem for you. :(( :))

    ReplyDelete