Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Canyon De Chelly in Arizona . . .

Our first day in Gallup had us up early making breakfast and getting ready for the long day.   We started with a stop at the local Chee's Indian Store.  We learned about the local culture and Navajo traditions.

Then we headed to the historical Hubbell Trading Post in Arizona.  We would pass in and out of Arizona frequently over the next two days.

 We had our picnic lunches here in order to get fueled up for a big hike in Canyon De Chelly.

 A sign warns parents to keep kids close due to the 600 ft. down, sheer drop off.  I would notice this sign AFTER the hike.


This would be Josh and I - before the hike - just chillin' and looking at the great landscape.  I'll share the picture of me after the hike.  Not pretty.


 This hike wore us out!  The kids were amazing though with their young legs.

 At the bottom we walked to the big rock wall to see the ruins left behind by families long, long ago.
 We rested at the bottom until our whole group had an opportunity to view the ruins. 
 Love this guy!  Not only is he handsome - he was trail sweep.  Walking with some older people to make sure they did OK.  He carries 3 Liters of water on his back along with a full first aid kit.  (and other safety items)
 As we headed back up the cliff switch backs, the kids in the group, and their young legs, raced ahead.  I made them buddy up and wait at certain spots so us older people could catch up.
 Heat and altitude made this a little more challenging than we anticipated.
I made it!


Our last site seeing stop was a look at Spider Rock.  It was just a quick drive to another hiking spot in Canyon De Chelly.  Pronounced "duh shay."
 Crazy cool, right?!

We took a peek and some pictures, it rises 800 feet into the air, then headed off to dinner.
We would have a two hour drive back to the dorm where we would get our families to bed around 10pm. 
Tomorrow - Sunday.






7 comments:

  1. One chapter a night - torturous. Give us lots of details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Grammy! I am enjoying the piece by piece. Amazing sights and photos!!! Absolutely crazy cool :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this while I was spoiling Daisy. What Gorgeous Views

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be able to put Monday - Thursday in one blog probably.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics of the canyon. And OH BOY do I remember what a difference the elevation makes for us sea-level folks!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete