Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Weaver . . .

The Rehoboth Christian School campus has many maintenance projects in need of volunteers and benefactors.  The project the men in our group worked on was a 600 ft (I  was corrected) 1100 ft. wind screen (replacement for the track field.  The wind and sand storms are vicious and this screen is important for keeping the track usable.
This day allowed the kids to play and the moms to work on feeding our crew as well as prepping for volunteering in a nearby public school.
The kids in our group had the playground to themselves since Rehoboth was on spring break.  The play structure they spent all their time in was this one.
Let me add that before this trip the kids in our group knew of each other but they didn't all know each other well.  I couldn't name half of them before this trip.  But when you live in the same building, play in the same area, eat in the same place and serve together - you now KNOW each other.  You've seen each other at your best and at your worst.  They will always share this experience.
I loved how the kid tried to make fires with sticks.  We told them they would have to start them the old fashion way.  This assured us they most likely wouldn't get them started.
 Think of how vivid their memories will be of this place after having such a tactile experience. 
The kids also turned these sections into "trading posts."  One for the girls and one for the boys.  I love it when kids play out what they've been learning.

Later in the day we visited a traditional weaver.  She's in her 80's, lives alone, raises sheep in different colors, sheers the sheep, cards the wool, spins the wool, dyes the wool from flowers found naturally if she needs another color and then.... creates beautiful woven tapestries.

 Naturally black wool from her black sheep.  That's so cool!

When she was done with her demonstration she asked if anyone would like to try.  I jumped at the chance since everyone else was being shy.  After I was done all the younger girls wanted to try.  I just helped get the ball rolling. 
The boys wanted to go outside and climb the amazing rock hills in her backyard.  So I took the boys outside.



Another great day comes to a close.
Tomorrow we'll work in Church Rock Elementary.

1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to mention - not every picture is from my camera. Mrs. S. Ten Pas had a few pictures that helped round out my blog posts.

    ReplyDelete