Sunday, January 29, 2012

Being Six...

I ended up missing the last half of the message in church today.  This has happened before but it's been awhile.  I was called out of the service because my 6 year old had become frustrated with the craft activity in his class and that was it, he was done, and the more everyone tried to help and talk to him the worse things became.  I found him in the hallway doing his best to hide from all the adults.
at home, snuggled up on the couch...
We walked over to get some water and sit.  He was still crying so it was hard to understand all his concerns.  This scenario is a familiar one but he is growing out of it.  He was able to explain that the paper boat they were making was too hard and "it wouldn't last in the water for a second!" 
I completely understood and agreed.  Those paper boats like Curious George makes are difficult to create if your hands are small and you've never made one before and your expectations are to make one just like the model and you just feel like you can't do it.
playing a game with Papa...
I don't promote giving up but that's not what this issue was about.  It was about the "purpose" of making such a craft.  He just didn't see the purpose in expending his energy into something he felt wasn't worth his time and energy.  I'm putting words into his mouth but, I think this is what he was telling me.
Harry Potter Lego game...
Without getting too much on a soapbox about homeschool philosophy I will say that in our homeschool, nearly all school work is done for a specific purpose.  There is little to no busy work.  When the kids are done with their work they get to play. Crafts are optional and they either recreate the model or do something on their own.  I try to encourage independent thinking.
neither a thumbs up nor a thumbs down - a thumbs in the middle...
I think my little guy just wanted to opt out of this craft and go and play.  He's been doing so well lately about following the routine at church and participating.  I'm not sure what was different about today.  If I could have only been a fly on the wall.  At the moment, he says he doesn't want to do church.  I hope he forgets all about today and next week goes smoothly.
In many ways, I'm happy that he stood up for what he was feeling.  He didn't go with the flow and follow the crowd.  In his own way, he stood up for his beliefs.  I'm sad it was frustrating for him and he ended up so upset.  I'm sure it was a great learning experience though, for everyone involved.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with the busy work. Nothing irritates me more than buying a "hands on" curriculum, just to find that it is filled with twaddle. I just took a ten day unit on the senses and cut it down to three days by getting rid of the cut and paste pictures.

    ReplyDelete