Thursday, May 24, 2012

Brown Rice is Good . . .

Scientist
I'm getting the feeling that parenting is not to be perfected.  Probably because there is only one true perfect parent, our Heavenly Father. 
Tonight, for dinner, I made brown rice as a side dish.  I chose not to put a portion on the 6 year old's plate because he doesn't like white rice very much and I figured he'd like brown rice even less. Plus,  I was already giving him something he didn't like, chicken (Costco, roasted chicken - everyone else loves it but not this boy!)  and I really just wanted a peaceful dinner.  Don't you have days like that when you just want a peaceful dinner and you'll do anything to make it happen.  
So when he saw his plate he promptly went to the fridge hoping to find some left overs he would like and could use as a substitute.  He found some hard boiled eggs and asked if he could have those on his plate.  I said yes and he helped peel them.  He still had the chicken on his plate but it was a pleasant meal without complaint as he munched away on boiled eggs and raw carrots.  
After dinner, when our oldest son was still working on finishing dinner the Scientist asks him if he could have some of his brown rice.  He says "I didn't get any brown rice for dinner."  After two bites he says,  "Mmmm, this is good Mom!"
Seriously! Would I have gotten the same response if I would have put the brown rice on his plate to begin with?  *sigh*  I'll never know.


1 comment:

  1. Probably not! But since he didn't get any, it must be special...

    Oh, I've been there ;D

    ReplyDelete