Thursday, May 31, 2012

Diving in...

i_dive_mini.jpg




My boys are watching the documentary "DIVE!"  today. (It can be streamed free on Netflix.) It's a profound look at how much food is wasted in today's society.  It gives the statistic that 1/2 of all food produced is wasted. 





The movie brings to light the current issue of food waste, but also a gives a history of how our parents and grandparents were taught and raised to value, preserve and not over indulge in food.  In the last 40 years the perception of food has changed.  Somewhere in those 4 decades a fear of handling and preparing fresh, whole food was ignited.  With the creation of convenience food a whole generation was left out of the knowledge of food handling and food preparation.  Plus, the more is better and increased portion size warped our value of food.   My own two cents... the feminist movement moved women out of their homes.  'nuff said.

The statistics in the documentary stuck with my oldest (11) and made him pause in thought.  My 6 year old was shocked the grocery store would throw out a whole carton of eggs just because one was cracked.  My 8 year old thinks a good way to practice what he learned would be to not waste food at meals. 

After my second time of watching it, I got teary eyed and it re-kindled in me a desire to make sure my kids understand fresh, whole foods.  That they know where to find them, what to look for, how the handle them and how to prepare them.  

This is one of those movies up there on the must see list with; Agenda, IndoctiNation, Super Size Me, and Ben Stein's Expelled.

 Enjoy the trailer...



Participating in a link party at:

http://raisingolives.com/moms/

5 comments:

  1. Wow, just the trailer was eye-opening!!! We know it's there, but with all the "legalities" the stores aren't allowed to donate it to food banks for fear of being sued over food poisoning cases--soooooooo SAD and WASTEFUL.
    Stand on corner for $ or got dumpster diving at markets---hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can watch over here this weekend. It's only 50 minutes long.

      Delete
  2. I've known people in bham that dumpster dive and get all their produce that way (back in my college years). I get boxes of bruised produce from the grocery store as "animal feed." Anything my animal children don't eat goes to the chickens, but I tell you-that "unfit" produce looks better than some of the things I've put in my Vitamix! ;) Some of the local stores won't give me their produce because a pig farmer has a contract with them and gets first dibs. So at least some stores have a clue. Behind-the-times Me put the movie on hold at the library-can't wait to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me want to go and take a peek that's for sure. My next two big purchases in the future are going to be a food processor and a juicer/thing-a-jig. First I want to borrow my Mom's to try them out. I'm really interested in making fig/nut power bars. Also want to try these at this blog site... http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/how-to-make-homemade-lara-bars/

      Delete
  3. I love that you had the boys watch this. If there is time while I am up I would like to watch it.

    ReplyDelete