Well, I took one of those classes in college and while I found it interesting, I can't, to this day, tell the difference between Igneous, Sedimentary or Meromorphic.
I find this strange because I'm a visual learner and Geology is very visual. "See here, this rock is named this." But pictures of rocks just don't stick in my mind.
The Architect is a Webelos now and this month they are learning about Geology. One of the requirements is to earn the Geology belt loop. He has to collect and identify different rocks and minerals. Well, one thing we are not short on is rocks. We've got rocks stashed outside, inside, in little boxes, in a glass bowl and at Grammy's house. We've tumbled rocks and started rock gardens. We are good to go in the rock department. Now, I just need to find someone to help my boys figure out what all these rocks are.
OH WAIT! Praise be to God, Miss Carolynn did! She organized a "rocking" cool tour of the Geology department at WWU. Oh, I hope and pray the Architect was paying attention because I was off chatting with friends again in the back. It was a Scout field trip ya know.
One of the last activities the boys did was play in the indoor water, sand and wave pool. Two at a time, they had to build a beach front property that would withstand the waves. They had a great time and learned some things too.
Forgive the pictures - I'm using the ancient iphone3. It's a hand-me-down. I'm looking forward to my Mom getting the new iphone5 because I'm hoping to get her hand-me-down iphone4. Hurry up Mom.
The big waves came and broke the wall.






What a fun field trip! Mark and I used to dig through the "junk" rocks behind the geology dept at WWU and keep the good ones. Ami and Laura's grandparents are rock hounds and gave them all sorts of leftovers from their trips. So our kids inherited quite the rock collection. It came in handy while we did the belt loop, but man! Why do we store huge boxes of rocks?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the pictures! And for the start to my rabbit trail of finding a great resource for the field trip! That water tank looks like loads of fun. Something we might be able to copy at the beach sometime!
ReplyDeleteI have a question for you on Exploration Education. I bought it a long time ago and used it for my olders. I don't have the supplies anymore, what do you do for multiple users? just wondering, I am thinking that E and I would enjoy it. Thanks!!
I haven't gotten through the whole box yet. I figured when it was time for the younger boys to do it I would buy a supply kit from the company.
Delete