Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Studying Washington . . .

I wanted to share this last spring but it didn't happen so I waited until summer was over and school was in full swing to share about the full year of Washington State history that the Professor was learning last year.
He used this text book.  Washington, Our Home  (For the record, I'm not a fan of text books) 
Front Cover
This book was soooo unlike other text books.  Instead of rattling off a boring list of events and people, it addressed all aspects of Washington.  The geography, different regions, agriculture, industry, government and more.  It may have been under his reading level but the content far outweighed the reading level.

The Professor loved his history time each week.  It may not have only been the book though, he had history time with a study buddy, a Grandmother.  They sat together and took turns reading each chapter, discussing everything.  I encouraged his Grandmas to relate their own travels and experiences to whatever was the topic.  Because he had this discussion time I never made him write a single thing down.  At the end of the year he had a final map project to complete which helped cement the geography of our state.

This kit was great.  It took a while finding the right type of map to print off so we could trace it onto the foam and cut it out, but once that was done it went really quick.  Plaster gauze dipped in water covered mountains made from tinfoil.
After it dried, he painted it.


To me, this was a great year of Washington State History.

2 comments:

  1. I learned a few thing too, and especially enjoyed being able to expand on some subjects and share experiences from the early days in Alaska that were similar. It is an excellent way to make learning so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year's study of California is perfect too.

      Delete