Friday, October 25, 2013

Cavity Confessions . . .

We are seven weeks into the school year.  
Our reality is... we school on the go three days a week and school at home the other two.  Most mornings the younger two boys can get in their piano practice and math work before we leave the house.  But the mornings are getting darker and colder and it's harder to get up.  I'm allergic to mornings in general so I struggle regardless of season.  Anyone have a cure for this?
Last week, our free time in town was spent at the dentist office.  Everyone checked out pretty well.  The 10 year old, with his large mouth that he inherited from my side, doesn't have any cavities.  The youngest still has his one from a year ago.  (Yep, we've let our youngest hang out for a year with a cavity.)  We did try once to get it fixed and he freaked out with the drill.  I refuse to go the route of major drugging because we have gone that route a few years ago.  Not only is it expensive but I just don't want my son's body filled with unnecessary drugs or the cost of an extra doctor to administer them.  I knew he would mature on his own and be able to make the decision that getting the cavity fixed was a good idea for his body.
And that is where we are.  After seeing a picture of his cavity he decided he needed to get it fixed.  The tooth will be with him for another 4 to 5 years and he knew it was time.
After he made that decision and his appointment was over his brother was ready to get a cleaning.  
 The Scientist got to watch and see what it looked like to get a sealant on a tooth and he was even given the opportunity to help.  
Let's hope he's ready to be a good patient just like he was as a helper.
The dentist office knows we homeschool and was very thoughtful to let the Scientist have this learning opportunity.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry you inheirited that allergy from your mom :). Denistry for kids has sure come a long way making it so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. There is no cure for morning allergies except more sleep and then some more coffee. I am also allergic to mornings and my dear husband sees it as a character flaw that I can just "get over" with discipline. Ha! It's genetic! I have some early risers like him and some night owls like me. And one who is both!

    2. We let a kid go with cavities until the teeth fell out. So no judging from me! <3 But just a few months ago, another child had a filling placed...and the tooth fell out a few weeks later! Boy was I mad about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet helping with his brother's cleaning will help put him at ease at being worked on. How great that the dentist let him do that!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your morning allergy came from your side of the family and the scientist's fear of the dentist (or at least the drill) came from our side. I'm no fan of dentist drills, or dentists in general - we can blame Grandma Patty ;o) The scientist is very wise and brave.

    ReplyDelete