Sunday, January 5, 2014

Recycle - Reduce - Reuse . . .

Last month I helped my Wolf Scouts discuss all the ways to recycle, reduce and reuse.  They are smart, savvy and resourceful minded 2nd graders.  I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep them challenged each month in our den days.
When the new year struck I was inspired to have a bit of "out with the old and in with the new."
I've kept a stash of these little net bags that come from mandarin oranges and other fruit for probably a couple years now. (Clearly, I know that this was not necessary.) But somehow I thought they must be used for something.  I decided it was either in the trash with them or re-purpose them.  
I'd seen kitchen scrubbers at craft fairs, made from the same type of netting.  I checked the internet, settled on a pattern and then spent a couple days learning to crochet a few simple stitches.
I ripped out the scrubber 3 times before getting it right.  
There are some really pretty ones on the internet and they look a bit better with a smaller crochet hook.
Either way, it's always nice to gain a new skill.

1 comment:

  1. My great-aunt Lucille used to make those! I think I got some with a wedding gift :D VERY useful.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete