Some science projects just don't turn out very well. First of all, how many weeks into school are we and we're just now getting around to the edible cell project from chapter 1 of Apologia Anatomy and Physiology. Too many weeks but, it is what it is.
To start with - this project had way too many ingredients and steps. I spent way too much money on candy I don't even let my kids eat. See those DOTS up there. That's probably enemy number 1 to any dentist.
This is also one of those projects that should have all the directions read from beginning to end - TWICE - before even starting. I forgot to spray the bowls with cooking spray before pouring the jello in. They sat in the fridge for two days until I realized I could run a little hot water on the bowl and they would slide right out.
But while I was so caught up in trying to get them out I missed the part about adding the ingredients while they were still in the bowl. This would have made them far more visually appealing.
But no, I plopped them onto the plates and became consumed with what candy would represent what part of the cell. Should the DOTS be the nucleus or the GOBSTOPPERS. What am I going to use for the Golgi Body. Oh crud! I have too many round shape candies!
So the boys started to smash the candies into the cytoplasm of the cell and it wasn't pretty.
Finally, they were happy to be done and just wanted to eat the candy.
I'm sure they learned very little. This is one of those projects in which the effort far exceeds the return on investment in my opinion. Maybe others have had better luck.
One of my older girls made a cell out of clear gelatin in a goldfish bowl for school. I can't remember what she used for cell parts. Maybe clay. It sat so long in her teacher's classroom it grew mold!
ReplyDeleteThat's some good biology you are doing!