| Washington State Capital, Olympia |
Huh!? Yes, that is what I said. Today I learned that's what you say if you want to talk to the author of a bill in the legislature and it's in Committee, or on the floor of the House or Senate.
The Professor and I had a great time in Olympia for TeenPack 2012.
I had no idea what to expect at this event. The website is so vague on what the kids will learn. I had to take the word of another homeschool student who said it was great and I hoped for the best.
| Inside the Legislative Building. |
| Who's that? |
| It's George Washington with a shiny nose. Be thankful I chose this picture and not the one of him with a finger up his nose. |
Here's my review on our TeenPack day.
* The one day class is available to 8-12 year olds. It runs from 10am to 4pm on a Friday in Olympia on the Capital campus.
* It teaches citizenship.
* It preps youth for leadership.
* It teaches the legislative process and structure in a FUN, hands on learning experience.
* It teaches how a bill is formed and how it works it's way through the Committee, House and Senate.
* The kids look great dressed up.
* The prayer walk around the campus is moving. To hear the 8-12 year olds pray "give them wisdom" or "help them make good decisions" makes your heart swell with hope.
* The prayer walk doubles as a tour.
* Teens can serve on the TeenPack youth missions team.
| On our prayer walk. |
The Bills are moved to committee and then brought back to the TP legislature for reading, questions and amendments. The kids love it. Seriously!!! It helps that the TeenPack team of leaders make the whole day super fun and a bit silly.
During a skit to illustrate the legislative process, the "lobbyist" handed out candy. It just so happened to be a chewy Starburst. My son chewed one up and pulled out a loose molar in the process! He walked up to me with a hand on his mouth, opened up and handed me a molar! He was discreet and back to his seat after a trip to the water fountain.
There is so much more to tell but I'll leave it at that.
The Professor says he totally wants to come back next year.
Some more pictures....
| Marble from floor to ceiling... everywhere. |
| Inside the Temple of Justice. |
| A time capsule. Placed in 1989 and to be opened in the year 2389. |
| A nice memorial to our soldiers. |
What a great adventure. Am so happy it was so successful.
ReplyDeleteWow! Sounds like a great experience!
ReplyDeleteJulie