Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cheese Stuffed Manicotti...

I took a batch cooking class a few years ago.  It was great but I really only remember how to make one of the recipes, cheese stuffed Manicotti for the freezer.  I have all my notes and recipes from the class but this is the one that I can walk into Cash-n-Carry and buy everything I need without a list.

Here's the recipe for making about 8-10 trays of
Stuffed Manicotti.
10 lbs - Ricotta - full fat tastes richer but you may only find low fat.
6 - eggs - whipped
2 - cups grated Parmesan cheese
10 - cups grated Mozzerella - this should be the amount in a big cash-n-carry bag.
1 tsp pepper
MIX all the ingredients together. Good luck finding something big enough.
(optional awesome add ins - chopped spinach or grated zucchini - 2-4 cups worth)
10 packs of manicotti pasta - do not boil it. 
2 BIG 6 lbs 10 oz cans of marinara sauce.  Plus some extra like a couple 15 oz cans. Use the big ones first.
Yes, that is a half eaten Taco Time burrito. 
To assemble - spread approx. 2 scant cups of sauce on the bottom of your pan.  Fill a gallon freezer bag with the stuffing.  (You must use these heavy duty ones or you'll have a mess on your hands.)  Cut off 1/2 inch hole in the corner.  Squeeze filling into shells.  Line your pan with one layer.  I don't recommend two layers.  Spread more sauce on top to cover.  Be careful not to use too much sauce.  Not because it's bad it's just easy to use up all your sauce spreading it on the bottom and on top of your pasta.

It's recommended to plastic cover, then foil cover your pan.
These must be frozen then fully thawed before cooking.
Cook at 400 degrees for 1 hour covered (no plastic)
Uncover last 5-10 minutes (if you remember)
If you want to have some manicotti the same night you are putting them together - you'll have to cook the manicotti per the package directions.

You'll probably have some stuffing left over.  This stuff rocks in scrambled eggs, or on hot plain pasta or over cooked veggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment