Sunday, February 24, 2013

Costco Drama . . .

We went to Costco today to burn through our rewards.  It seems my trips to Costco are not to be peaceful ones.  Last month when I went, there were no carts at the front and when one did become available, I walked toward it and had to verbally stake claim to it as another woman was walking toward the same one.
Today's drama was a bit more heated.  I truly wish I could my have kept my 0-60, in a flash, temper in check but, today was not to be the day.
The story unfolds at the end of our shopping journey when we are ready to maneuver the loaded cart into a line.  A last minute item was needed and so our capable Papa took the cart and rolled away to fetch the nearby necessity.  As I waited in line with my boys, a woman with only 2 items in her cart pulled up behind us. As I looked around for Papa to see if he was near, I inadvertently placed my hand on the cart of the woman behind me.  I was checking for Papa because I was 2 seconds away from trading spots with with woman and letting her go ahead of us.  Maybe I shouldn't have been in line holding a place.  I don't know.   
What followed was some drama!  
The lady, I'm no longer calling her  a woman, barked "Don't put your hand on my cart."
"What did you say ?" I replied.
She repeats, "Don't put your hand on my cart."
Well, I just lost it!  My normal calm self went from  0-60 in a split second and my voice was raised and getting louder as I repeated what she said at least 3 times.  Then I added, "Do you know I was going to GIVE YOU my spot in line!?
Then my hubby rolls up with our cart stuffed to the brim.  She mumbles that she doesn't want to be behind us and moves to the other line.
"EXACTLY!"  I  announce.  We both turn our backs to each other.
I shake my head in disbelief for a good minute as my heart pounds in my chest, my fight response working over time.

It's a proven fact our Bellingham Costco is too small for the volume of people trying to use it.  Like mice in a small cage fighting to the death, the same if felt when I step foot into that Costco.

5 comments:

  1. YES! It's nuts in there. I'm thinking the trek to Mt. Vernon may be well worth it.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Julie,
      My mom invited me to shop the Mt. Vernon one and then I could meet her for lunch. That's how I'm going to plan my next Costco trip. :-)

      Delete
  2. i have a CRAZY Costco story...I haven't decided it I want to share it on the blog or not yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I understand that. Your readership is far greater than mine and many might not understand how truly bad our Costco is. I'd love to hear it. :-)

      Delete
  3. I actually ducked under a woman's arm to dive for the last 2 gallons of milk! However, my grocery store rages lately have extended past that! so sorry, but I totally get it!!

    ReplyDelete